June 22 2010

They’re Alive!

posted by Ana Samways at 9:10 am

These fish, which have been skinned, gutted and beheaded, are just about to be smothered in butter, wrapped in tin foil and baked, when all of a sudden…

Via

Blogosphere, Encore, Spare Room, Video,

16 Responses to “They’re Alive!”

• Lance says:

That’s put me off fish, screw omega3 lol

• Not Hungry says:

I suppose it’s a little late to throw them back though…

• Shashi says:

maybe the foil stimulated nerves/reflexes or something?
    The lady taking the vid was remarkably calm I reckon!!

• Molly says:

Oooh! This happened to me once and no one believed me!

• Jo says:

I would be calling an electrician to get the earth fixed on the bench

• Toni says:

EEEWWWW and people wonder why I dont eat seafood!!

• brutis says:

they look more like eels then fish. all you need now is a video of someone winding up chickens before beheading them and watching them run around, (winding them up makes them do flips )

• InvisiblePinkUnicorn says:

Fish do move for some time after they are beheaded. Guess that’s how their nervous system is.

• Lindy08 says:

Eeeeewwww… that is gross!! No fish for me anymore?!?

• Moata says:

I would have been screaming the house down. Flippin heck!

• Kelli says:

I have seen flounders rustling around in a plastic bag after been out of the water for a little while lol

• Michael says:

There is no mystery here – the lemon on the tinfoil created a small electric current. Which stimulated the nerves in the fish and you get the thrashing around.

Whack a zinc galvanised nail and an old copper coin into a lemon and touch your tongue to it – the tingle you feel is what happened to the fish fillets.

• Edwin says:

EEls! As Michael and Shashi commented, I guess the electrical stimulation from the lemon and aluminum foil too.

• Lissa says:

I had this happen with lobsters. I killed the lobster by plunging a knife it the head. I waited for the nervous system to stop and pulled the tail off. Well, the claws ejected themselves and started opening and shutting. I threw a kitchen towel on top and walked away. After it stopped, I cracked open the claws, which were not dislocated from the body, and took out the meat. The claw meat was twitching!! I put the kitchen towel and walked away again. Lesson learned. Boil the lobster first a bit. I’d rather have an over-done lobster than deal with that again!!

• Lissa says:

which were “now” dislocated, not “not”! Made no sense.

• vinkredibLe says:

next time kill it dead… :D i guess this would only happen to freshly caught seafood (actually, maybe any food that was once live).